Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ibsen Research:

Hi, it's Danielle Aquino. I have enjoyed the entire class so far this year and am not lying or "kissing up" when I say that this English class has been my favorite out of all the Literature classes I've had so far in my entire education. I have always thought that a person could learn about themselves through stories and teachings (and I have learned a lot about myself thus far because of all the lessons and stories taught in this class). Henrik Ibsen was born March 20, 1828. His full name is Henrik Johan Ibsen and had been raised in Skien, Norway. He was the oldest of five children, his father was a merchant, and his mother had interest in the arts (which he too took interest in). His family had became poor due to his father's business, at the age of 15 Ibsen stopped his schooling, and worked as an apprentice at an apothecary (where he had impregnated a girl and had never met his son afterwards (but had still supported him)). Ibsen had a wife (not the same girl) and had (another) son. Additionally, Ibsen had been exiled to Italy (but was allowed back to Norway) and had died in Oslo, Norway in March 23, 1906. I think the title "Doll House" may relate to Ibsen due to the fact that he himself had moved to Germany (after being exiled to Italy) and that fact is similar to the main character in the story (whom had left her family to "soul search" or to find herself). Citations: www.biography.com/people/henrik-ibsen-37014#synopsis Www.britannica.com/biography/Henrik-Ibsen

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I agree with that analogy. I understand that Ibsen, as a play-write, would want to voice his own struggles and internal conflicts into his art to make it more real, but I wouldn't completely say he would base it on his soul searching abroad. To me, the title relates a certain kind of trapped existence and isolation which could be the overall goal, to break out and go soul searching. The title seems to be a reflection of the rigid and formal lifestyles of the characters always having to fit a certain mold akin to dolls, but always wanting to break from this mold.

    ReplyDelete